Monday, July 4, 2011

Celebrating the 4th in India....

So pretty much this weekend was absolutely FANTASTIC. I haven't written anything in a while so I don't really remember where I left off but I am just going to talk about this weekend. So on Friday morning at about 3 am we left for the airport (a 2 hour drive) to make a 7 am flight. None of us went to sleep because at that point our air conditioning was broken and it was impossible sleep in the heat. (It seriously only cools down to the 90s at night here I am pretty sure...) So we all stayed outside all night because at least it was fresh air rather than being in our stuffy hot rooms. We played games like signs (which I terrible at... it takes far too much observation and concentration for me...) and another one that I am pretty sure we made up but it was so FUN.

Eventually we had passed the time in the heat away and it was time to leave for the airport on our air conditioned buses, which felt so good and we all completely passed out for the drive. After sleeping through the ride to the airport and a plane ride to Delhi, we found ourselves on a huge tour bus, which was spacious and cool and pretty much amazing. The tour bus was our ride for the weekend and our guide was such a cool guy... I think his name was Rashim (but I should probably look that up and find out for sure.) He guided us on our 6 hour journey from Delhi to Agra which is where our hotel was and most importantly the Taj Mahal. But, of course, during our 6 hour drive we had to make a couple of stops. First, we stopped at this amazing market and were all given a personal tour on rickshaw bikes (2 to a carriage) so Drew and I hopped in for the ride of our lives. Just like the drivers in India, the rickshaw bikers are out of control. One of the major differences between Indian and American culture is that there are no traffic laws (at least that are actually followed), whether by car, motorcycle, bike, or foot the rules are yours to make up, change, and break. So our ride was quite the adventure. We went down streets that were so crowded, I was sure we'd get knocked off the rode. And through alleys so narrow I would have bet my life that we would not fit, but somehow we did. It was definitely a thrill and an efficient way to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

Finally on Friday night, after a lot of time on plains, buses, and vans, we made it to our hotel, which was a really nice bit of relief from our accommodations here at RSO. Don't me wrong, we've been very spoiled here at the hostel and definitely not say that we are even close to roughing it... but bucket showers and squater toilets are only fun for so long... Our hotel was very nice with a ton of great ways to pass the time, without ever even leaving. There was a mall, a bowling alley, a club (which we definitely took advantage of!!), and lots of food. The first thing we did when we arrived (after locating Abbi's missing passport of course, which had been left in the Chennai airport... oops!) was order room service. And I got pasta!! One of the things I've noticed since I've been here is that when you are sweating this much you crave salt so pasta tasted delicious. I've also been buying chips every chance I get! Yum.

But Saturday was where the fun really began. Taj Mahal at 5 30 am? I think YES! It was incredible!!!! Coolest place I have ever been. Our awesome tour guide gave us a great presentation of the history behind this amazing building and let me tell you it's unbelievable. Jamal and his brother (from Slumdog Millionaire had the story a little bit mixed up...) But in all seriousness I have never been inside a building that took my breath away the way the Taj Mahal did. And the view from the top was indescribable. I don't even know what else say except I wish I was a better photographer because I am pretty sure that it was any photographer's paradise. We also visited the marble gallery where all of the marble and precious stones from the Taj were hand crafted. The secrets behind their their marble and stone carving have been kept in the same family since the Taj was built. The secrets are only passed down through the men in the family because they are afraid if they tell the women they will tell their husbands who will then tell all of their families. Anyways, it was really quite cool to hear about. Drew and I both bought little elephants that were made out of the same marble and precious stones and by the same family that did all of the work on the Taj Mahal (just many generations later obviously).

After the Taj was breakfast and we were all starving. The breakfast buffet at our hotel was SO GOOD! Obviously everything I talk about seems to revolve around food and I wouldn't have it any other way... We spent the rest of the day at the pool and working out in the gym. Then we did a little more sight seeing and some shopping. Finishing a solid day off with Pizza Hut- Indian style!!

Sunday was spent traveling home... A long journey to get only one full day in Agra, but so worth it. On our way back to the airport we stopped and rode elephants, which at first I thought was really cool but I ultimately came to the conclusion that it was actually just really sad. Looking into that majestic animal's eyes told me that he was not happy and I felt like he was definitely not living the life he was meant to live. But nonetheless we rode elephants, which is still cool to be able to say....

Well we are back at RSO now and I will have to write about my day today later. It is time for me to go visit my house and tuck my precious kiddos into bed. Nagu, Priya, Suda, Gracie, Sudcheta, Kavia (and everyone else...) here I come.

Oh PS pictures will come later!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment