Thursday, June 23, 2011

Today has been an amazing experience for me. It is so crazy how long the days seem here and yet how quickly it feels like it's flying by. Today I was tutoring the kids at the school. (I have not yet been able to do medical work like Drew did at the colonies but I will tomorrow....) Tutoring is an exhausting but wonderful experience. As you get to know and help each one of these kids, you find that they are a) all smarter than you are, yourself, and b) extremely hard workers. All of the kids strive so hard to become better at reading, math, chemistry even though most of them are already pretty dang good at it. I feel like half the time I am not even helping but rather getting in their way of getting their multiplication sheets done fast enough. These kids are so smart and have so much potential to go so far in their lives. It is truly incredible to watch them learn and grow.

Not only was today full of great experiences with these kids, but I also shared some fantastic experiences with some of the other volunteers and with my house mother here at RSO. In the afternoon, once everyone had finished their volunteer work, a group of volunteers had a game of soccer. Drew, of course, played but I, along with some others, watched. While we were watching, it began to pour rain, which hasn't happened since we've been here. I cannot explain in words how wonderful that rain felt. It really opened my eyes to the beauty of India, which is definitely harder to see through 110 degrees and 80% humidity.

But really, India is absolutely gorgeous. I have never experienced anything quite like it. Especially early in the mornings. Carlee and I went for a run this morning around 6 30 before it was too hot (only about 80 degrees I would say) and it was so pretty to see the sun just peaking up over all the palm and mango trees that surround Rising Star. And even more beautiful than the landscape is the people here. One person in particular is my house mother. At the school here all of the children are divided up into houses. And each house has a house mother. As volunteers, we have all been assigned one house to go to each night for an hour and half and play with the children before they go to sleep. The house mother I have been assigned to is Rajakamari (I know I am butchering the spelling) and she is the sweetest lady. It has really been fun getting to know her. Last night she read to me from Charlotte's Web so that she could practice here pronunciation of English words, and it was mazing to see how hard she works to become better at speaking English. She is so intelligent and funny and always has amazing things to say. And tonight Rajakamari gave me a henna tattoo on the palm of my left hand, which said is actually called mahendi (spelling?). Rajakamari says that henna is just the made up American word. But the one she gave me is so pretty, I cannot get over it! I will post a picture of it tomorrow.

Anyways, sorry my writing is as eloquent or cohesive as Drew's. Like many things, he is much better at writing than me! Haha, what can you do? But that is all for now. I am excited to do some medical work and get to work with some of leprosy patients tomorrow, so you will hear about that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment